If You Still Want More for Your Life – Dirty Glory

When You've Lost Track of the Original Vision

A few weeks ago, Tyndale Publishers sent me a copy of Dirty Gloryby Peter Greig to review.  I am definitely interested in growing in prayer, but I didn’t know if a book that tells the story of the 24/7 prayer movement throughout the world would be exactly what I was looking for.  This book has rocked my world!  It is truly one of the most inspirational books that I have read for awhile.

A couple of years ago, we moved from East Asia, a place where we had called home for over 10 years.  We came back to the US to continue on in missions, but from this side of the fence, for a season.  For the past 2 years, I think I would have been crushed if God called us to go back into a developing nation.  But after reading this book, I think I could hear that call again.  Now, I’m not saying that God is calling us to go back out.  I’m just saying that I would be willing if He did.

So many things spoke to me from Dirty Glory.  I could fill up a whole page with impactful quotes, but I’ll highlight here Greig’s chapter about Base Camp 20.

Through a series of unexpected events, he and his family end up living near Kansas City, helping to lead the 24/7 movement in the States.  Their house was located on what was formerly known as Base Camp 20.

It was a stopover for travelers on their way to seek gold in Santa Fe, New Mexico.  It was meant to be a place where people got refueled and then continued on down the trail, but many chose to stay and make Base Camp 20 their home.  Eventually it became a city.

At this point in Greig’s life, he had arrived at a spiritual Base Camp 20.  The 24/7 movement (which he started) was growing and seeing miraculous things take place.  He was receiving some recognition.  He could get a paid ministry position in the US and settle, stop living this vagabond life, following Jesus wherever He would lead.  He could call off the dream of Santa Fe and make Base Camp 20 a permanent home.

He decides against it.  He sets his heart again on Santa Fe.

If you still want more for your life - Dirty Glory

This so resonated with me.  After over a decade in missions work, with no salary, living as a strange foreigner in Asia, away from my family, there has been a sweet desire to resign.  God has brought us back to find renewal in this time.  We may stay here and continue on, or we may follow Jesus somewhere else, but the point is that we will still follow Him.

Now, you’re probably not in the same position that we are, but it could be that you are facing a similar question- will you continue to follow the Nazarene?

There’s a story in the Bible (John 6) where Jesus draws a hard line of what people must do to get into the Kingdom of Heaven and many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed HIm.  Jesus asked the Twelve if they wanted to leave as well.  Peter replies, “To whom else would we go?  You hold the words of eternal life.”

That’s one of my favorite lines- to whom else would we go?  I’m no longer in my 20s.  I’m nearing my 40s.  I no longer have the idealistic view that I once had as a young person, but will I continue to dream that my life can make a difference if I continue to follow after God?  And even more important that that, will I continue to seek God’s face as my “one thing”?  Above all else.

Will I slow down in my pursuit or will I continue to press in?  It’s challenging.

When I was single and pre-kids, the sacrifice was less.  Now it seems to be greater, but the reward of knowing Jesus and raising my kids in the total will of God is one that I cannot afford to surrender.

I would recommend Dirty Glory* to anyone who really wants to grow in knowing  Jesus.  Not just grow as a nice person.  Not just grow in their prayer life.  Grow with JESUS.  Because if He is the focus, you’ll fall in love with Him,  You’ll want to talk to Him (prayer).  You’ll want to be like him (“nice”ness).  He’ll change your life and allow you to be a part of changing the world.

Do we dare to follow His invitation?

*This post contains affiliate links. You can read our full disclosure here.

• Victoria Morgan October 2, 2016 at 8:10 pm

I plan on reading this book!

• Karlene October 7, 2016 at 9:25 am

Your review makes me think I need this book! Visiting today from #GraceandTruth. Blessings on your family as you continue to look to God for direction and mission.

• Marva | SunSparkleShine October 7, 2016 at 9:55 am

Hi Brooke, I just found this post of yours on my first visit to Fresh Market Friday and I’m convinced that it was exactly what I needed to hear. Just this week I was commenting to someone that a lot of my spiritual victories are decades old and it can feel like I’ve rested on my laurels. As if, I could ever take the credit for anything that God has done in and around me. But it also shows me that I need to step out in faith and follow Jesus in every season of life. Whether I’m 20 or 40, His call is still the same. He still says, “follow me”.

Thank you for this inspiring insight and for sharing your thoughts on “Dirty Glory”.

• Brooke Grangard October 7, 2016 at 2:35 pm

Oh, Marva, I so hear you. The author was saying almost that exact thing- it’s easy to look back at past triumphs or intimate seasons with God and ride it out on those. I was encouraged (and challenged) to journey on for more- the Santa Fe! Risky! Thanks for adding your thoughts here.

• Becky Hastings October 7, 2016 at 10:08 am

I find that we are pulled in so many directions, especially as Christians. We are, after all, supposed to be giving and charitable and serving. Yet we find ourselves worn out from the pulls for attention, money, time, faith.

It can be so hard to know what to do, how to serve, and where to be for God, but the only thing that matters is that we are pressing in to God. The rest comes as we move closer to Him.

• Brooke Grangard October 7, 2016 at 2:33 pm

I agree. It’s easy for me to lose Him as my most important vision as the days go on, and we grind it out. This book was so refreshing in bringing me back to what it’s all about-Jesus. And as He’s lifted up, people are drawn to Him.

• Jerralea October 7, 2016 at 11:29 am

Thanks for sharing. I’m always interested in finding a book that will rock my world. What an interesting title, too! I’m definitely curious.

• Brooke Grangard October 7, 2016 at 2:32 pm

It was better than I thought it would be (going into it knowing almost 0 about it!)

• Lesley October 8, 2016 at 2:13 pm

This sounds like a great book and I think I need the challenge not to settle but to keep seeking God and moving forward. I hadn’t heard of this book but I loved one of Pete Greig’s other books “God on mute”.

• Brooke Grangard October 8, 2016 at 7:09 pm

Yes, he seems very authentic. It’s worth the read for sure!

• Crystal Twaddell October 10, 2016 at 11:01 am

Brooke, I so embrace this concept of continually being challenge to walk deeper with Jesus. Never heard of this book, but sounds like just what I need. No matter what the age, there is more to learn, more ways to grow and deeper impact to make. Thanks!

• Brooke Grangard October 10, 2016 at 4:43 pm

I hope you enjoy it, Crystal! I’m so glad I stumbled up on it!

• Jessica October 12, 2016 at 11:21 pm

I am excited to read this!!! Thanks, Brooke!

• Tina at Mommynificent October 13, 2016 at 9:39 am

This post touched me too deeply to even really be able to share, but I wanted to at least thank you for sharing this at Booknificent Thursday on Mommynificent.com! You have blessed me.
    Tina

• Brooke Grangard October 13, 2016 at 7:08 pm

I’m so grateful, Tina. This book was truly just what I needed at this time.