Is Your Child Biblically Literate?

Is Your Child Biblically Literate?

Last month, I read a recent (2016) study that Barna did which stated that only 16% of our nation’s young adults believe the Bible to be the literal Word of God.  That poll broke my heart.

I really want my kids to be Biblically literate.  I want them to know God’s Word because I utterly believe that knowing God and following His ways will bring about true fulfillment and purpose in their lives, but I’ll admit it can be easy to let the days go by without reading to them from that precious Book.  I have really good intentions, but sometimes our devotional time gets skipped at breakfast for whatever reason and we struggle to recover that time once the day is upon us.  I wonder if other parents can relate.

So that’s one reason that I’m really excited to introduce to you all 2 Fish Talks This is an idea that I felt God dropped into my mind awhile back, and I’ve been trying to get some videos up and ready for September, to coincide with Wycliffe’s #whyBible campaign which aims to engage people in conversation about why the Bible is important in their daily lives.

Get free, daily, 2-minute Bible stories for your kids. #2FishTalks #whyBible Click To Tweet

So starting mid-September, we will begin posting daily, 2-minute Bible readings on both YouTube and FaceBook that will walk children through the Bible in a year. (That’s right, I’m actually committing to do this for a year- I don’t think I’ve realized the full repercussions!) There is both a toddler version and an elementary-age version, depending on the age of your little ones.

Sample of elementary-age video:

We will be using The One Year Bible for Children for the “big” kids and The Toddler’s Bible for the littles (both by VG Beers).  I really love these versions because they walk children through the whole Bible at an age-appropriate level.  We’ve been in ministry for many years, so I’ve seen and used many different children’s Bible, but these are two we have settled upon for our own kids.  I especially love how The One Year Bible really gives kids more than just the well-known stories but takes them through the bulk of Scripture.

Daily 2-minute Bible Stories Free for Your Kids

I’ve personally been challenged and encouraged reading the Bible in a text that is written for children.  There’s something about taking the meat of what God is saying in the passage and simplifying it into kid-friendly language that just cuts to the heart.  Just putting these videos together have given me more insight into the Word and God’s heart!

Please check us out on Facebook and on Youtube, and give your kids the gift of knowing God and His Word so that their lives can be full and have purpose, so that they can have a Standard in this world.

If you are a blogger or on social media, would you consider helping us get the word out about 2 Fish Talks?  It’s completely non-profit, and we are not linking it to our blog except to advertise it here.  We just really want to help children have more access to God’s Word.  We recognize that as their hearts are shaped, so is the future of their families, communities, and nations.

• Kathleen September 14, 2016 at 9:36 am

I love what you are doing! I will definitely check you out on facebook and youtube. Our youth NEED this. Thank you so much!

• Brooke Grangard September 14, 2016 at 12:38 pm

Thanks, Kathleen! That’s encouraging! I’m trying not to despise the day of small beginnings!! 🙂

• Michele Morin September 15, 2016 at 8:21 am

I’m seeing a tendency in Sunday School curricula to be choppy in their approach to the Bible. Kids do need to see the big picture, and sadly, many adults have the same lack of awareness of the narrative arc of redemption so beautifully portrayed in the Word.

• Brooke Grangard September 15, 2016 at 9:53 am

I agree, Michele. I love how The One Year walks us through the whole text, not just the well-known stories. I’m realizing afresh, as I do this project, that the Word is so powerful and can speak for itself!

• Lisa notes September 15, 2016 at 9:40 am

This sounds like a great idea. I pray that the Lord will bless your ministry with the children in your own family as well as other families. It was always so important to me as well for my children to be biblically-literate. What they learn as children DOES stick with them for a very long time.

• Brooke Grangard September 15, 2016 at 9:54 am

Yes, I totally agree! I still remember a lot of the wisdom that I was taught from the Bible as a child and base my grown-up decisions upon it today!

• Rhiannon September 16, 2016 at 3:17 pm

I absolutely love this! I work with kids in our church and this is a very real issue. Parents don’t address teaching it at home because they have adopted this idea that the church is supposed to and the church can’t cover everything in the short hour it has every Sunday. Love the initiative to get kids in the word!

• Brooke Grangard September 16, 2016 at 3:22 pm

Thanks, Rhiannon. Yes, I see it as a real need. The wisdom found in the Bible is life-changing!

• Crystal Twaddell September 21, 2016 at 12:06 pm

What a great idea you have here! And just at the time little minds are like sponges, to fill them with lasting, life-changing wisdom!

• Brooke Grangard September 21, 2016 at 4:46 pm

Yes, exactly! To know God at a young age and be guided by wisdom is a priceless gift.

• Tina at Mommynificent September 22, 2016 at 7:54 am

This sounds great! I’m subscribing now! Thanks for sharing this at Booknificent Thursday on Mommynificent.com!
    Tina